Master in Professional Tour Guiding
This 9 month intensive training program is designed to produce professionals in the field of Tourist Guide services. The main language of instruction is English. The study plan includes a 240 hours module to study a foreign language to choose from Spanish or Russian. The theoretic part takes place in our school located in Barcelona, Valencia and in the town center of Lloret de Mar, Spain. After the theoretic modules are completed, all students have to complete an internship period in one of the companies of tourism sector.
This program will provide you theoretic, linguistic and practical skills.
This training has been specially devised to teach you all the information and skills you need to become a successful Tourist Guide. Instruction is in the form of lectures, seminars, virtual classrooms, workshops, cases and individual assignments. Examination is in the form of written exams and individual and group assignments and workshops.
All foreign students have to do a Spanish language preparation module to take one of the official state exams of Spanish for Foreigners, DELE or SIELE, of the correspondent A1, A2, B1, B2, C1 levels. HTL International School is an accredited DELE & SIELE examination center of the Instituto Cervantes.
To enrol in the Master Degree, it is necessary:
1. to fill the online application form below
2. submit the requested documents:
– passport copy
– last studies transcript
– English level certificate, if any. If you don’t have any proof of your English level, you have to fill the online placement test to be completed online before the online application is done. The direct link is on Admissions page.
On successfully completing this Professional Program of Study you will:
1. Be awarded the
– Master Degree in Tour Guiding in Spain
– DELE Diploma or SIELE Global (Spanish Language for Foreigners official diplomas) or
– French/Russian Language Level Certificate
2. Have attained an accredited qualification for managerial and supervisory levels showing you possess competence in professional work activities.
3. Have attained a high level qualification equated to the International studies framework as a Master Degree or Master Universitario according to the Spanish National framework.
– local guide, tour guide and senior tour guide
– tour manager or tour director
– interpretive guide and senior interpretive guide
– remote area guide
– outdoor recreation guide or tour leader
– museum guide and heritage guide
– cultural guide and senior cultural guide
– nature-based guide and senior nature-based guide
– adventure guide
– walking guide
– specialist guide
– driver guide
– owner-operator of small tour operation
Master in TOUR GUIDING, STUDY PLAN: 72 ECTS
Module I: Tour Guiding
- The Tourism Industry,
- Benefits and Costs,
- Components of tourism,
- Tourism impacts
- The tourism system worldwide,
- Travel geography and markets,
- Tour guide role, the present and the future
- Effective communication skills for Tour Guiding,
- Type of communication
- Communication strategy
- Handling enquiries and complaints
- Customer Service,
- Code of Ethics
- External & internal customers
- Communication methods
- Internal policies and procedures
- Customer service planning
- Customer need and expectations
- Customer satisfaction
- Tour guiding, types and kinds
- Presentation skills
- Walking tours, bus tours, logistics, group entertainment
- Safety and security protocols
- Legal and ethical issues in tour guiding
Module II. Touristic itineraries in Spain
Madrid and Castilla: Madrid, Comunidad de Madrid, Castilla la Marcha y Castilla y Leon
- Royal Palace
- Plaza Mayor
- Museum Prado: Velzaquez, retratos de los Habsburgo. Goya.
- Aranjuez. Ávila. Valladolid.
- Toledo: arab and jewish.
- Brothers Pizarro. Conquer of Peru.
- Extremadura. Virgen de Guadalupe. Cortés y conquer of Mexico.
- Costa del Sol: Málaga, Mijas, Marbella, Puerto Banús
- Costa de la Luz: Cádiz, Tarifa, Huelva, Puerto de Santa María, Jerez de la Frontera
Catalunya and Northern Spain: Barcelona, Catalunya, País Vasco, Galicia
- Costa Brava: Girona, Dalí, Montserrat, Rupit, Pubol
- Costa Dorada: Tarragona, Port Aventura, Sitges, wineries
- Basque country
Module III. Foreign Language Intensive Course I (Spanish , French or Russian)
– Official DELE exam of Spanish for Foreigners preparation module
– General French or Russian Language test according the initial entrance level
Module IV. Spanish/French/Russian Language for the Tourism Sector Module
Module V. Final Project
· Project design
· Research tools
· Personal reflection
· Appropriate questionnaire designs
· Conducting academic research, literature search and review
· Developing a research question, hypothesis and methodology
· Managing a research projectIV: Production and Operation Management
Module VI: Internship
Official Exam of Spanish Language for Foreigners DELE or SIELE
French/Russian language exam
All information taken from: https://www.htlinternationalschool.com/course/master-in-tour-guiding-spain/